This video popped up on my feed today, figured I'd add it to the blog. Duncan Rhodes (now of Duncan Rhodes Painting Academy and of previous GW painting tutorial fame) does a retro paint job on a Blood Angel miniature from 1992.
Monday, November 30, 2020
After many moons of not gaming 40K (in any edition!), we finally played a proper 2nd edition game. No modifications (except how we handle flamed units). No PA Activations, etc...just classic 2nd edition by the book.
We took two 500 point forces and played cooperatively against a 1,000 Tyranids list. Running my Eldar I opted for two small squads of Pirates, led by heroes...and a unit of Eldar scouts. The Dark Angels, led by a Techmarine, ran two battle squads in rhinos.
We added a narrative mission focus, in case this turns into a campaign:
- An Imperial world had ceased communicating with the nearest system.
- A nearby Dark Angels frigate was dispatched to investigate.
- Upon arriving in system, the Dark Angels frigate experienced long-distance communication issues.
- The Dark Angels frigate was hailed by an unknown Xenos ship.
- This Xenos ship turned out to be an Eldar Pirate vessel.
- While prepared to destroy the Xenos vessel, the Dark Angels first accepted a hail from the self-proclaimed captain of the vessel.
- The Eldar Pirate Captain informed the Dark Angels that the Tyranids Xenos had overwhelmed the planet. The Pirate Captain and his ship were monitoring the Tyranid fleet as it was nearing the Eldar Craftworld of Yderis.
- The Dark Angels acknowledged this possibility when their long-range communications failed, an issue consistent with evidence of the Tyranids hive fleets.
- Within hours of translating in system, the Dark Angels came under attack from the Tyranid hive fleet.
- A small combined party of Eldar Pirates and Dark Angels made for the surface of the planet, hoping to fire off a distress signal from the planet's communications satellites - perhaps the only communications strong enough to break the cloud of the Tyranids' fleet.
Our goal: At the start of each turn, if we possessed models inside the communications command building, we could roll a single D3. If we acquired nine points, the message was sent successfully.
As with my other blogs, I didn't realize that Google had stopped sending comment notifications - so I just stumbled upon a dozen or more comments which I have never seen. I apologize and will reply to those shortly!
I will now occasionally check the comments section as Google no longer notifies the blog owner.
Sunday, May 3, 2020
Issue 166 "Angels of Death": Blood Angels vs. Orks
Issue 167 "Bridge of Death": Space Marines vs. Orks
Issue 171 "Witch Hunt": Eldar vs. Orks
Issue 175 "Dawn Raid": Ultramarines vs. Orks
Issue 177 "Hold the Line": Space Wolves vs. Eldar
Issue 180 "A Bitter Harvest": Howling Griffons vs. Orks
Issue 182 "Blood and Fire": Ultramarines and Imperial Guard vs. Orks
Issue 187 "Heretic": Space Marines vs. Imperial Guard (Traitors)
Issue 189 "The Great Devourer": Tyranids vs. Imperium and Eldar
Issue 194 "Redemption": Dark Angels vs. Orks
Issue 196 "Civil War": Eldar vs. Eldar
Issue 200 "Kneel Before Me!": Chaos vs. Orks
Issue 202 "A Warrior's Duty": Imperial Guard vs. Eldar
Note: It was at this point that White Dwarf magazine changed into a bad acid trip. The layout became absolutely terrible and it looked as if a child had discovered photoshop for the first time. White Dwarf had changed in the previous 10-12 issues, but then it went completely off the rails. This list may be updated in the future - but the "proper" battle reports disappeared in favour of short cliff-note game articles with...every graphical layer they could add. This includes meaningless grids over everything, typeface over dark pictures, and if you like neon and random colours; all of them are included in almost every page.
Issue 213 (Abbreviated)
- "Defend the Shrine": Chaos vs. Sisters of Battle
- "Liberate the Relic": Eldar vs. Sisters of Battle
- "Pierce the Darkness": Orks vs. Sisters of Battle
Issue 215 (Abbreviated) "Shadows in the Night": Space Marine Scouts vs. Orks
Issue 216 (Abbreviated) "Wings of Darkness": Eldar vs. Chaos
...at this point I stopped going through my available White Dwarf magazines. My eyes hurt. The battle reports were now four pages total (including huge intrusive graphics). I'll check the rest sometime soon and see if anything changed before the launch of 3rd edition. I doubt it.
Sunday, April 26, 2020
- Chaos Marine Bike
- Chaos Rhino
- Chaos Predator
- Chaos Land Raider
- Chaos Dreadnought
- Chaos Contemptor Dreadnought (PA Creation)
- Chaos Leviathan Dreadnought (PA Creation)
- Chaos Defiler (PA Creation)
- Chaos Vindicator (PA Creation)
Saturday, April 25, 2020
Other races can easily be done by simply converting over a couple of colours (for Necrons and Squats for example - stuff I don't have on hand at the moment!).
- Squat Bike
- Squat Heavy Bike
- Squat Land Raider (PA Creation)
- Squat Rhino (PA Creation)
Friday, April 24, 2020
- Space Marine Bike
- Space Marine Attack Bike
- Space Marine Land Speeder
- Space Marine Rhino
- Space Marine Predator
- Space Marine Razorback
- Space Marine Whirlwind
- Space Marine Vindicator (PA Creation)
- Space Marine Drop Pod (PA Creation)
- Space Marine Land Raider
- Space Marine Land Raider Crusader (PA Creation)
- Space Marine Land Raider Redeemer (PA Creation)
- Space Marine Dreadnought
- Space Marine Ironclad Dreadnought (PA Creation)
- Space Marine Contemptor Dreadnought (PA Creation)
- Space Marine Leviathan Dreadnought (PA Creation)
Sunday, April 19, 2020
- Leman Russ Battle Tank
- Leman Russ Demolisher
- Leman Russ Executioner (PA Creation)
- Leman Russ Exterminator (PA Creation)
- Leman Russ Punisher (PA Creation)
- Leman Russ Vanquisher (PA Creation)
- Imperial Sentinel
- Imperial Armoured Sentinel (PA Creation)
- Imperial Chimera
- Imperial Basilisk
- Imperial Griffon
- Imperial Hellhound
- Imperial Wyvern (PA Creation)
- Imperial Hydra (PA Creation)